Are you thinking of a way to run Android on your computer? In this edition of APPQUESTS’ “How To” series, we will be showing you how to install and run Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) on Windows, Mac or Linux.
The Android mobile operating system has further pushed its reach to mobile consumers, expanding its market share over it fierce rival, Apple’s iOS. In fact, that are reports that say that Android had captured close to 70% of global market share. While Android aims to take over the smartphone world, there are many users out there still without a first hand experience with the Google owned operating system. If you are one of these people, try Android today by running it on your computer!
We will be using Android 4.0 on a virtualization software called VirtualBox developed by Oracle (Sun Microsystems). VirtualBox is essentially a program that allows you to install a secondary Operating System (OS), as well as to quickly boot up this run this OS within itself. For all the firm iOS and Windows Phone fans out there, this is a great way to try out Android and experience the other side of the mobile OS world.
Follow the steps below, and come with us on this journey to see what Android offers.
1. Visit the official Oracle VirtualBox site and download the most suitable VirtualBox package for your computer’s operating system (Windows/Mac OS X/Linux), at this link.
2. Look in the location that you have downloaded the Virtual Box binary in, and install the program.
3. At this step, we would also need the Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich files. Go over to VMLite’s website and download a copy of of Ice Cream Sandwich, that has been configured for virtualization purposes as well integration of seamless mouse support for better navigation. The file is slightly large at close to 90MB and might take a while to finish downloading.
4. Look for a while named ‘Android-v4.7z‘ and extract the contents from within.
5. Locate a file called ‘Android-v4.vbox‘ within the archive upon opening the file earlier on. This file is a preconfigured VirtualBox file.
6. Open the Android-v4.vbox file. Doing this will launch the VirtualBox application.
7. A boot menu should be appear in VirtualBox. To start the installation process, press ‘Start’ whch is found on the toolbar.
8. Select the ‘Android Startup from /dev/sda‘ option.
9. All steps are complete. Android 4.0 should be booting up
You should now be able to see the home screen for Android 4.0. Simple to run Android on your computer isn’t it? Go ahead and enjoy Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich!